Eagle County Grins will mirror our already successful Eagle County Smiles program, and though provide assistance to uninsured adults in the Vail Valley who are 19 years of age and older with up to $1,500 for treatment. We will establish a similar collaborative of dental providers similar to that supporting Eagle County Smiles – our goal is five providers in 2021 and more in subsequent years. Additionally, our hope is to educate those who are on Medicaid or are CHP+ eligible to receive adult benefits already in place with the state so that they can are aware that they are entitled of up to $1,500 in annual support from the state of Colorado. Eagle County Grins will provide financial security which means our community members can focus on health and well-being.
- 45% of residents do not have dental insurance.
- We are second-lowest Health Statistic Region for adults with dental insurance coverage in 2016 and 2018
- We have the highest percentage of Coloradans who skipped dental care due to cost in 2019.
- Fewer than 10% of dentists accept Medicaid; in 2021, there was only one non-pediatric office that accepts Medicaid.
- The ratio of Medicaid providers to enrollees is greater than 1150:1.
- In 2020 45.6% of people served by VVCF were 50 years and older, year to date 2021 we 56% of the people we serve fall in that category.
- Studies have shown that people with poor oral health (such as gum disease or tooth loss) have higher rates of cardiovascular problems such as heart attack or stroke than people with good oral health.